Christian service is an integral part of the educational process at Lancaster Catholic. As we have begun to adopt stewardship into our lives and into our school, we would like the Good Samaritan Program to continue to foster that same stewardship into the community. The Good Samaritan Program has been established for all students to foster the proclamation of the Gospel and to form good habits of service to others. This program is being promoted:
- To help fulfill the volunteer needs of many community and civic organizations, of Lancaster Catholic High School and of many churches who rely on volunteer hours to accomplish many of their own goals.
- To give ALL students at Lancaster Catholic an opportunity to be OF SERVICE to Church, school and community, thereby enhancing their educational experience.
- Building a willingness to share of time and talents through the mission of stewardship.
Each student, as approved by Lancaster Catholic School Board Policy, will be required to perform 20 hours of non-remunerated (no salary or wages) service to school, church or community per year. Accredited service must be performed at an approved location or have the approval of the Director of Service. A list of approved locations is available on the left side of this page.
Exceeding Service Requirement
Students may volunteer for more than 20 hours of service per year if they wish, and are encouraged to do so, but additional hours will not be applied to next school year.
Seniors - Please Note
Seniors must complete 10 hours by the end of the first semester of their senior year, and the remaining 10 hours must be completed by March 1st, 2017.
Changes for the 2016-2017 School Year
Completion of hours will be recorded as pass/fail on the student transcript. This does not factor into student GPA! Any student who does not complete the required 20 hours at the end of the school year will receive an "F" on the transcript for that year. If the student completes 20 or more hours, a "P" will be recorded on the transcript.
What Does NOT Count
- Family services, such as mowing the lawn or baby-sitting are family obligations and will not be accepted.
- Service performed for a for-profit company will not be accepted unless approved by the program director prior to the performing of the service.
- Students who wish to perform service at a location not on the approved list must submit, in writing, the service they wish to perform, the location and the intended duties before completing the service in order to receive hours.
- Parents/Guardians may NOT fulfill these requirements for their children.
- Some community service or civic organizations will NOT be approved due to their stance on certain moral issues which are in opposition to the official teachings of the Catholic Church.
If you have any questions, please direct them to Mrs. Beth Christensen, Good Samaritan Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org