A Practical Guide to Understanding Philanthropy
Since 1928 Lancaster Catholic High School continues to offer an excellent faith-based educational experience rooted in the teachings of the Church. By choosing to give to Lancaster Catholic, you play an integral role in furthering the mission of our school.
It is directly through your support that our students are able to fully develop their God-given abilities as they eagerly dive into academic pursuits with our dedicated faculty members, participate in an array of extracurricular athletic and fine & performing arts activities, deepen their relationship with Christ through numerous Campus Ministry retreats available throughout the year and allow LCHS to offer transformational tuition assistance/scholarships to over 50% of our student body!
What we mean by:
Calendar Year: The Calendar Year at Lancaster Catholic High School begins January 1 and ends December 31. Your donation to LCHS will have tax benefits only if your gift or pledge is completed by December 31 of any given year. This is particularly important if you make a pledge and choose the option of making the payment in either the two or three installment schedule.
- Fiscal Year: The Fiscal Year at Lancaster Catholic High School begins July 1 and ends on June 30 of every year. It is possible to make gifts to the school in the same calendar year, but in two separate fiscal years.
Gift: A gift is a complete or partial payment on a pledge when the dollars are recorded and the pledge balance, if any, is reduced.
- Unrestricted Gifts: These cash gifts can be spent where the school believes the need is the greatest.
- Restricted Gifts: These cash gifts can be spent only for a specific purpose designated by a donor, such as scholarship support or a particular academic program.
- Gifts in Kind: These gifts are donations of needed goods and services, rather than cash and could include furniture, vehicles, computers, printing services, etc.
- The Lancaster Catholic Fund - Also called the “LC Fund” is the comprehensive fund containing proceeds from all annual appeals to raise revenue essential to the operation of the School which covers everyday expenses, such as academic department budgets, athletic teams, fine and performing arts programs, faculty salaries, heating bills, etc. Click here to donate today!
- One Day of Giving - What can we achieve in 24 hours? Amazing things! Specific to LCHS, this is a 24 hour fundraising event using mostly digital channels and social media, bringing together donors, volunteers and friends wherever they are in support of our annual fund goals. Giving challenges and significant matching funds challenges are usually core components of the day. In 2016, Catholic’s very first One Day of Giving raised over $41,000 in 24-hours with matching funds of $75,000 from generous donors.
- NCEA One Day of Giving – Nationwide outreach by the National Catholic Education Association (NCEA) held during Catholic Schools Week 2018 (week of Jan. 29th) for support for their efforts to promote Catholic Schools across the U.S.
- Extraordinary Give – Traditionally held a week prior to Thanksgiving, LCHS participates in this Lancaster County community-wide event (sponsored by the Lancaster County Community Foundation) as we seek, along with hundreds of other area non-profits, to actively engage support from our broader community for Catholic High's mission and programs.
- LCHS Phonathon - For over 30 years, students, parents, alumni and other volunteers make phone calls asking our community for support of the Lancaster Catholic Fund. It’s also a wonderful opportunity to share stories and establish relationships.
- Matching Gifts Program - Many employers have programs where designated funds are available to be “matched” by their employees’ contributions to a school. Please let us know if you have any questions regarding doubling the impact of your gift! Click here for more information on how you can become the perfect match.
- Over the Top - Each spring our community has the opportunity to make financial contributions in an effort for one last push to meet our annual goal for The Lancaster Catholic Fund.
- Tuition Assistance – Lancaster Catholic is committed to being as accessible as possible by keeping tuition affordable for all who desire to be part of our family. Every year, LCHS allocates over $1 Million in tuition assistance and scholarships to over 50% of our entire student body.
- PA Educational Tax Credit Programs (EITC & OSTC) – Pennsylvania allows qualifying businesses the opportunity of re-directing some of its state taxes and allocating them toward schools of their choice.
- Crusader Legacy Scholarship - These need-based and merit-based tuition scholarships exist to help increase the number of current students from multi-generational families who are proud Crusader Alumni. Our long-range goal is to be able to offer all Legacy students a portion of this scholarship. The primary source for Legacy Scholarship funding is the annual LCHS Crusader Golf Classic.
- General Tuition Assistance – Through the generosity of people like you, LCHS is able to meet 90% of the tuition assistance needs of our families. Click here for more information about Tuition Assistance.
- Crusader Legacy Golf Classic – Annual golf event that provides core funds for the Crusader Legacy Scholarship.
- Purple & Gold Gala – Proceeds from Lancaster Catholic's annual Purple & Gold Gala (generated by auction donations, cash gifts, ticket sales and event sponsorships) support special initiatives which meet important school needs.
- Endowments & Planned Gifts
- St. Catherine Society – Honors the individuals who, through their planned and estate gifts, have made a significant commitment to Lancaster Catholic High School. Click here to learn more about the St. Catherine Society.
- FOCUS Endowment Fund - Individual Endowment Funds are gifts from individuals or families, often in honor or in memory of a loved one. An initial gift of $25,000 is what is needed to open a new Individual Endowment Fund.
- Business Partnerships
- Alumni Association - Volunteer with your fellow LCHS Alumni as we work collaboratively to strengthen the influence and involvement of our Lancaster Catholic High School Alumni Association through a variety of ways, i.e. reunions, networking events, socials and fundraisers just to name a few. Click here for more information about Alumni events.
- Business Alliance Program – Your business’ one-stop-shop for numerous, year-long marketing & advertising opportunities across multiple platforms. We have options available for any-sized budget. All proceeds help to underwrite our student programs. Click here for more information on how you and your business can become part of the LCHS Family.
- PA Educational Tax Credit Programs (EITC & OSTC) – Pennsylvania allows qualifying businesses the opportunity of re-directing some of its state taxes and allocating them toward schools of their choice
- Wish List – Special items LCHS does not include in the annual budget but would love to be able to provide for our students. For specific items, click here.