The purpose of the Lancaster Catholic High School Athletic Hall of Honor is to recognize and celebrate those individuals who, through their participation, guidance and support have made outstanding contributions to Lancaster Catholic athletics.
This year's honorees are Matthew Balasavage, Matt Frey, Timothy Tymon, Diana Alexander Wentz and Erik Vargo.
Matthew Balasavage (2003-2007)
- Earned twelve varsity letters at Lancaster Catholic (Football, Basketball, Baseball)
- Was a four year letter winner and starter in football and was named captain in his senior year
- Was All State Tight End both his junior and senior seasons
- Was a four year letter winner and team captain in his senior year for basketball
- Was a four year letter winner and team captain in his senior year for baseball
- Was named the 2006/2007 Intelligencer Journal Male Athlete of the Year
- Was a four year letter winner and starter at Temple University and upon graduation from Temple he signed with the Baltimore Ravens as a Rookie Free Agent where in a pre-season game he suffered a career-ending knee injury.
Matt Frey (1998-2002)
- Born with fibular hemimelia this future Lancaster Catholic High School athlete had his leg amputated at seven months old.
- Was a four year letter winner for the LCHS swimming team.
- He was named team captain in his senior year.
- While at LCHS he won over 50 races and competed in the Paralympic Trials in Indianapolis where he won 3 gold medals, 3 silver and one bronze medal. He wore his LCHS swimming attire while competing in both the trials and the Paralympics.
- Also at LCHS, he competed in the National Amputee Junior Golf Tournament were he tied for first but lost in the playoffs. He qualified to play in the National Championship Tournament in Boston where he won the Ken Venturi Sportmanship Award.
- After graduation, he attended Notre Dame University.
Timothy Tymon (1963-1967)
- Earned six letters at LCHS
- He lettered three years and was a two year starter in basketball.
- His senior year he was named co-captian of the basketball team.
- He was also named First Team Central Penn Catholic Basketball All-Star his senior year.
- He also lettered 3 years in track and field where in his senior year was named co-captian.
- Throughout his track career, he broke several personal and school records.
- His senior year, he received the Coaches Award for Track
Diana Alexander Wentz (1989-1993)
- Earned seven letters at LCHS
- Was a four year letter winner for basketball and was named captain her senior year.
- She finished her LCHS basketball career with scoring a total of 1134 points and grabbing 801 rebounds.
- She was named 1st Team Section III All Star both her junior and senior years.
- She also lettered three years in track and field.
- She accepted a scholarship to play basketball at Rutgers and lettered three years with them.
Erik Vargo (1999-2003)
- He earned seven letters with Lancaster Catholic.
- He lettered four times with the soccer team and was named Team Offensive MVP his sophomore year and Section III 1st Team All Star his junior and senior years.
- His senior year he was named Section III MVP. He was the first ever LCHS boys soccer player to receive that honor.
- He also was a three time letter winner in tennis where held lead the team to the the Section II Tennis Championship.
- He went to play both soccer and tennis at Lebanon Valley College.
Lancaster Catholic will honor these alumni on Saturday, January 13th with the social beginning at 4:30 PM in the Old Gym and the ceremony at 5PM.